Falling back into a cozy home
We don’t want to admit it… but the morning air feels more crisp and the evenings have you reaching for an extra layer. It is officially only the second day of fall but many of us have already surrendered to the incoming scarf weather. Now, instead of sandals we grab the socks and fill our cups with hot tea instead of iced.
We make little adjustments in our everyday lives as the days get a bit colder and darker– things get warmer, softer, and a little richer. Your home goes under a few changes too… A few months back we posted about the concept of hygge, the Danish art of coziness (check out that post here!), and figured it was appropriate to re-visit that idea. Accessories are an easy and flexible way to change with the seasons in your home. We got down to the research (ie: online shopping) and we compiled a collection of accessories that will increase the cozy-factor in your home as we wave goodbye to summer…
Pillows are a great accent– we love using them as pops of colour to tie a design scheme together, as added visual interest, or to add unique textures to a space. You can add more pillows to cozy spots during the chillier months for added comfort, or simply change out covers to something more seasonal. Here are a few picks to make lounging at home a bit cozier…
1. The Sarjaton Cushion found at Vancouver Special comes from Finnish illustrator Lotta Olsson. Her designs are vibrant, whimsical, and oh so homey.
2. This Tibetan Lamb Pillow (pictured here in the Birch colour) can be nabbed at The Cross in Yaletown. Embrace the trend of the ultra-plush accessory and make your afternoon naps that much cozier.
3. Macrame made a huge come-back this year and this Macrame Diamond Pillow Cover from West Elm is an elegant and minimal way to celebrate it’s return and add a bit of hand-made texture to your space.
4. This Woodland Pillow Cover found at Chapters reminds us of illustrated children’s books. It’s subtle palette makes it perfect for a condo or a cabin.
Impromptu snuggles, blanket forts, and extra house guests are all reasonable excuses to stow away a couple extra cozy blankets near the sofa or in the bedroom. Sometimes, when it’s one of those classic grey Vancouver downpour days, another blanket is absolutely necessary. These picks will help you get through those rainy days…
1. Aptly named the ‘Coziest Throw‘ this find from West Elm is perfect to stash away in case of a chilly night in the guest room, bedroom, and living room… you might need one of every colour.
2. EQ3 offers the striped Enfield Throw as an extra cozy layer. A subtle stripe can go a along way to add some pattern to a space or complement stronger patterns in the room.
3. Vancouver-based Forest and Waves is the maker behind the Wilderness Blanket. Inspired by the pictographs of North American First Nations people, this blanket is soft enough to cuddle in and rugged enough to take on the road.
4. Ready to lounge in luxury? In Chapters’ ever-expanding home section we found the Faux Fur Throw (here in Silver Fox). There’s nothing faux about the comfort this blanket offers– best matched with a good book of course!
Area rugs are one of the easiest ways to instantly make the entire room look warmer and more homey– and with all the options available these days it’s a great opportunity to express your personal style. Different shapes, colours, and level of plushiness can cater to all our individual needs underfoot…
1. Plush in Blush! The perfect updated shag rug feels fabulous underfoot– the Heights Diamond Blush rug can be found at The Cross.
2. Looking for a spot of colour? Inspired by Danish candies, the Pinocchio Carpet found at Vancouver Special is 100% wool and 100% cozy. No slippers needed.
3. Throwback to the days of crochet and everything hand-made. This Jute rug found at The Cross is a modern take on 70s decor.
4. Nothing says cozy like a classic sheepskin. Natural, timeless, and flexible– add one to your favourite seat, near the foot of the bed, anywhere you need an extra dose of softness.
5. This Pebble-patterned rug from East India Carpets looks neutral and natural. A subtle layer of cozy for your feet on chilly mornings.
As the days grow shorter, we find ourselves looking for a little more light. While nothing beats the atmosphere of a toasty fire or a few well-placed candles, we also found some flame-less options that are sure to do the trick… Whether you want something modern or more traditional, a soft glow of smaller lights instantly warms up a space. We found a few bright accessories to help you out…
1. We love this Muffin Lamp sourced from Inform Interiors–designed by Lucie Koldova and Dan Yeffet it combines blown glass and oak to create a special ambiance in any space.
2. All this ceramic lantern needs is the singular glow of a candle to bring it to life. Found at The Cross, we love it’s simple design that will look at home in a modern condo, beach-house, ski chalet, and everything in-between. Charming, no?
3. Going au-natural? Neatly stack wood for your fireplace neatly with this minimalist log holder from Crate and Barrel. Time to stock up for the winter!
4. Feeling nostalgic? Explore your favourite neighbourhoods with the Vancouver Candle Co. The scents offered are inspired by areas of Vancouver (and now expanded to other Canadian spots!).
5. For some of us, cozy might be on the romantic and rustic end of the scale. These Dubois Lanterns from Crate and Barrel feature antique mirror glass and tin frames to diffuse and reflect candlelight. Paired perfectly with some red wine and thick socks.
6. This light can set the mood with a built-in dimmer right on the cord. Scandinavian design meets great materials in this table lamp found at Vancouver Special. A little bit of brass (and a soft glow) goes a long way to add warmth to a space.
We must admit that the online shopping we did to get these finds was some great retail therapy (and perfect distraction from the imminent rain-clouds)! A new season brings new opportunities for change and refreshing the spaces you call home. So grab a mug and those big socks and let’s embrace the cool weather and everything that comes with it!