Style: Athleisure Fashion Trends
Have you heard of the fashion trend Athleisure? This is new to me. I thought people were just getting more casual with their day-to-day wear OR taking gym clothes out to the real world. Fact is, this is actually a THING! It seems Kanye West has this all figured out and now it is the latest fashion trend. So I thought we could explore what that looks like in OUR world and not Kanye’s.
First off, here in Vancouver we are pretty lucky because athletic wear outside of the gym has long been a style here. It is a well known fact that we (total generalization here) have no problem wearing our Lululemons out in public. And I don’t just mean to the grocery store. We will wear our Lululemons to the mall, to get groceries, to pick up kids from school and really, we will wear our lulus like other cities wear their jeans. It is our leisure outfit of choice for sure. But now we are legit folks. Yay! We don’t have to pretend we are on the way to the gym anymore!
- GUESS Rita Athleisure Leggings $125 CAD
- Linda Farrow Aviator Sunglasses $560 CAD
- POVERTY FLATS by rian ‘Sport’ Mesh Bucket Bag $67 CAD
- Romy & Ray Fabio Short Sleeve Hoodie $330 CAD
- Merrell Ceylon Zip Athleisure Shoes $140 CAD
- Windsor Smith ‘Speedy’ mesh platform skate slip-ons $165 CAD
- Splendid Vista Active Trim Pant $180 CAD
- Tommy Hilfiger Jaspe Knit Dress $97 CAD
- Michael Kors Dylan Pavé Gunmetal Silicone Watch, Gunmetal
- Keds Wool Baseball Cap $21 CAD
One thing is for sure people are SPENDING on this new fashion trend. Every label is coming up with their own version and there are many price points along the way. You can pick up a pair of leggings at Target but also at Michael Kors.
So what are the do’s and don’ts of Athleisure?
- Do add a biker jacket or jean jacket to slouchy comfy sweatpants.
2. Do add polished white sneaks to your track pants or skinnies.
3. Do not go for full on track suit. Wear your skinnies with a track top OR track bottoms with a fitted top.
4. And above all, DO still make sure fit is good. Too much slouch or oversized, just looks messy.
It is looking like Athleisure is here to stay so get used to seeing it around and have fun experimenting beyond our Lululemon attire.How do you like to be fashion forward? Do you have some Athleisure elements in your wardrobe?
Send us a line. We’d love to hear!