Design Tips: Getting Organized
Do you have a list of “to do’s” weighing on your mind?
Does one of those items say……get organized?
Do you ruminate about how to get organized, but don’t know where to start?
If so, this article is for you!!
I’m Jane of Organized by Jane, and I’m going to share some amazing tips for you to start getting organized.
These tips are simple, clear and straightforward.
You will be relieved to know you can finally start getting organized.
Identifying the first place you want to organize:
- Grab a pen and paper
- Walk around your home and write down areas that you want to be organized
- Make a list to a maximum of 5 areas. Maybe it’s your; closet, garage, basement, kitchen, or playroom
- Rank your list from 1 to 5. (#1 being the most important)
- Circle #1 with a highlighter.
- CONGRATULATIONS!!! You have completed step #1
- Collect 5 boxes for sorting. Grocery box is a good size
- 1 large black garbage bag.
- Make 5 signs
- Move to a different location
- Tape each sign on the outside of each box
- Put black garbage bag inside “DISCARD” box
- CONGRATULATIONS! You have completed step #2
Setting a date:
- Make a 2-hour appointment with yourself
- Write it in your calendar
- CONGRATULATIONS! You have completed step #3
- Set a timer for 1 ½ hours
- Place sorting boxes in the space, you plan to organize
- Pick up one item you are wondering what to do with ( important to pick up only one item at a time)
- Decide which box it will go in
- Continue selecting items, and decide which sorting box to place them in
- Undecided box can be filled high (don’t worry about that)
- You may not finish in your allotted time (No worries, you will make another date with yourself)
- CONGRATULATIONS! You have completed step #4
- Very important step ( you don’t have to be finished organizing the area to clean up)
- Crucial point is to clean up so the area is livable and clear enough for your next organizing day
- Put each box away
- Discard box – into the garbage
- Recycle box – into recycle bin
- Donations box – into the car to drop off
- Move to a different location box – new location
- The area you are working on should now be completely clear except for your undecided box.
- Keep your undecided box visible. Look in the box once in a while. As time passes you will probably decide to discard more.
- CONGRATULATIONS! You have completed step #5
Good luck on your Organizing.
I will be offering a workshop, Get Organized: Learn How To Simplify your Life, with Designers Collective later in the spring.
For more tips and advice, or if you want to book a free consultation
call me 604 763 3043 or drop me a line at firstname.lastname@example.org